So much has been happening in such a short span of time. Trying to catch my breath a bit and form everything into coherent thoughts. But ‘coherent’ thoughts haven’t really happened in years, so I guess I’ll just have to settle for the usual incoherency. (And wordpress is saying that ‘incoherency’ is not a word. I strongly disagree. It’s what life looks like inside my head. And it is very real.)
- Tone is awesome.
- Bass is harder than it seems. Bassist canceled, and since we already had acoustic and piano, I figured I’d just lead from bass. And then there was failure.
- I am not Sting.
- Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I had a dream one time where Bono and I were at the zoo. And then Sting was sitting in the food court, and he yelled to us. And then Bono said, ‘Oh, great. Now he’s gonna want to hang out with us all day.’ And yes, that really happened. The dream, not the zoo with Bono and Sting. Someday.
- I saw The Killers last night with my wife in San Diego. They put on a simply incredible live show. Brandon Flowers makes you feel like it’s the show they’ve been dreaming of all their life, even though it’s just one stop on the tour.
- Dave Keuning of The Killers has great tone. And looks funny walking around the stage aimlessly.
- He also knows when to shut up and just layer chords so that the rhythm, vocals, or synth can take over. I need to learn from this. Even anti-solos can be too much sometimes.
- Christians can be awesome. We get a bad rap, and we definitely deserve it. But just today, I spoke at a couple breakout sessions at a worship conference in Redlands, and there were just some amazing people there. Billy and Jan, who actually are my godparents and I didn’t even know went to the church, were totally rad and even helped me load up my gear in my truck. And a guy named Phil, who was my liaison for getting set up and stuff, might just be the nicest person in the entire world. Yep. And then one of the new guitarists at my church, completely humbly offered to play bass tonight as I was failing at it monumentally. Sorry to get all sappy, but it’s really, really rad sometimes to talk with people who restore your faith in the church. (Church meaning, people.)
- The Killers had more fun singing about ‘a boyfriend who looks like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year’, than I’ve had playing worship music in a long time. This is bad.
- Matchless don’t break. I’ve heard that moniker many, many times, and always thought it was just something stupid that sounded cool when you said it. But the other day, someone cut me off and I had to slam on my brakes. My Matchless was in the front seat (amps are passengers, not gear), totally did a front flip over my hand (I was reaching out to try to save it, but Matchless are heavy! It just totally took out my hand like it wasn’t even there…ya, I feel buff), and landed power tranny side down, hard on the floor of my truck. Plugged it in, perfect. Not even a tube came loose. I guess Matchless don’t break.
- I also dropped my pedalboard on the asphalt this morning. Pedals and wires everywhere. I was playing a game with myself to see if I could make it to the truck without dropping the pedalboard, even though my arms felt like they were going to fall off (it was a long walk). And somehow I forgot that the game I was playing involved my pedalboard. And then I lost. I take pretty good care of my gear.
- Halloweentown is one of the worst bands I have ever seen live. They opened for The Killers, and it sounded like a bad church service. Eight members all trying to solo over each other. And the tuning part I suppose was lost on them. They looked indie though, and had old-looking synthesizers, so I guess that’s what counts.
- However, one of the guitarists did have his roadie come on stage during a song to take the cigarette out of his mouth. Which I thought was the coolest thing ever, and thereby decided that if I ever make it big, I’m going to have roadies to change out half-way sucked on lifesavers before the flavor is gone. I’m not going to do the cigarette thing because I don’t suck burning things into my body.
- Dave Keuning plays Hiwatts. Halloweentown played things that sounded horrid.
- Self-serve frozen yogurt is the best invention since tubes. I don’t care if it’s a fad, and I’m totally buying into it. Because it is, and I am. And yet I still want my taro. The best thing is that if you believe all the ‘health facts’ about it, you should actually get thinner from eating it. Which is a plus.
- For the 546th time, Karl, change your strings before looking for new gear!
- Sleep is underrated. And that makes me sound old.
- I have decided that I want to be a famous guitar player. That’s all you have to do is decide that, right?
- I have also decided to be the only blog in the world not to mention…oh blast. That means I can’t mention it.
- Tone is probably the best thing that will ever happen to you.
- Emery Amps looks really toneful.
- Both guitarists from Halloweentown played there first chords with their amps on stand-by. Made me feel much better about myself.
- Every drummer in the world needs to see The Killers and Ronnie Vannucci Jr. live. And listen to Coldplay’s ‘Death and All His Friends’.
- Edge is in the United States, people. It’s only a matter of time before he goes to guitar ghetto in Hollywood. Edge Watch Day 1 was unsuccessful. Maybe next week.